See this burn mark? If you drill a hole through the wall of our house right there, you are looking at my little bird's bed. In fact, you are sitting on it, reading her a bedtime story, like every other night of her life. Last night, around 8:45 pm, due to crazy strong winds, the electric wires on our house that are attached to it via a "mast" were partially blown off, with the wires being partially severed. It was enough to take out part of our power but not all of it. It left us wandering around our house turning things on and off in a very perplexed fashion trying to figure out why some things worked while others didn't. In the mean time, as the wires were still "live", our house was trying to burn itself down, and we didn't know it. In fact, the only thing that kept it from spreading was the fact that the shingles stayed wet from the continuous drizzling rain.
The electrician that came out to do the repair, showed me this huge nut that was used to secure the "mast" to the house and it was a melted blob. They had to cut it off. I'm talking about a nut that's a couple of inches in diameter reduced to a blob.
I have been slightly weepy about this all day. There are alot of things that happen in a family's life as the years go by that lead one to moan and complain. "Oh, the blasted sink is broken again." or "The basement is wet again." "When are we going to have the money to replace this. . . any number of things that, when it comes right down to it, don't matter all that much."
Today, I am grateful for my ancient, peeling porcelain tub, my cracked concete steps and my damp moldy basement, because I have all my children healthy and happy, fighting right now in their bedroom upstairs.
Thank you, God.